GSFA is always looking for volunteers. Do you have a few extra hours a month during the day and/or an occasional Saturday to assist with several ongoing projects, daily duties or help with special events - your genealogy skill level doesn't matter, we have something for everyone! Please visit our Volunteer page and learn about the various opportunities we have or call, email or drop-in for details.
We are in the midst of the two major projects listed below with which we require immediate and on-going assistance - please share these opportunities with others.:
The Belgian American Museum Cataloging Project:
Our Belgian American Museum is packed full of interesting traditional cultural pieces, each of which need to be cataloged with photos and detailed descriptions. It is a fascinating, yet time-consuming project. Please consider helping us with this important work.
Save The Newspaper Project:
One of the many special projects on which we are working is our "Save the Newspaper" effort. The Gazette van Detroit published a Flemish language newspaper in Detroit for nearly 105 years! We could use a few more pairs of steady hands. We are in the midst of scanning and digitizing nearly 80 years of fragile and deteriorating Gazette van Detroit back issues to a digital searchable format. It's a long, tedious and delicate operation, but a relatively simple process. Volunteers must have a minimum Windows OS 7-10 experience, including basic word processing & image editing, familiarity with Adobe PDF format is a plus (but not required). Just as importantly, we need volunteers for this project with lots of patience and a delicate hand.
DAY TO DAY OPPORTUNITIES:
- Sharing your immigration and/or life stories with a small audience and, if possible, posting on our website.
- Processing Heritage Magazine mailings 3 times a year.
- Translating and/or transcribing letters and documents.
- Sorting and filing various photographs; family, military and death records.
- Cataloging retail items, museum and library collections.
- Hosting a program at the library showcasing your genealogical expertise or traditional craftwork.
- Working at special events - farmer's market, Christmas Mart and other fundraising opportunities.
- Hosting a fundraiser.
- General housekeeping.
So many things to do, so few hands! We hope to see you soon! Call, email or drop-in for details.