GSFA is always looking for volunteers. Do you have a few extra hours a month during the day and/or an occasional Saturday to assist with several ongoing projects, daily duties or help with special events - your genealogy skill level doesn't matter, we have something for everyone! Please visit our Volunteer page and learn about the various opportunities we have or call, email or drop-in for details.
We are in the midst of the two major projects listed below with which we require immediate and on-going assistance - please share these opportunities with others.:
The Belgian American Museum Cataloging Project:
Our Belgian American Museum is packed full of interesting traditional cultural pieces, each of which need to be cataloged with photos and detailed descriptions. It is a fascinating, yet time-consuming project. Please consider helping us with this important work.
Save The Newspaper Project:
Please lend your hands to help save thousands of pages and many decades of Flemish-American history. Do your part in helping make them available for researchers like yourselves by joining our "Save the Newspaper" team. We need additional pairs of hands for as little as a couple of hours a week. It may sound dramatic, but every hour saves a few months or more of history. A day in the library can sometimes preserve an entire year! The Gazette van Detroit published a Flemish language newspaper in Detroit for nearly 105 years and we are currently scanning and digitizing every page of every issue and creating searchable documents! It's a delicate operation, but a relatively simple process. It's a rare opportunity, rewarding and quite fascinating work. You do not need to know the language.
DAY TO DAY OPPORTUNITIES:
- Sharing your immigration and/or life stories with a small audience and, if possible, posting on our website.
- Processing Heritage Magazine mailings 3 times a year.
- Translating and/or transcribing letters and documents.
- Sorting and filing various photographs; family, military and death records.
- Cataloging retail items, museum and library collections.
- Hosting a program at the library showcasing your genealogical expertise or traditional craftwork.
- Working at special events - farmer's market, Christmas Mart and other fundraising opportunities.
- Hosting a fundraiser.
- General housekeeping.
So many things to do, so few hands! We hope to see you soon! Call, email or drop-in for details.